CSEM is a private nonprofit Swiss organization for research and innovation. Supported by the Swiss Confederation, our mission is to enhance the competitiveness of industry by developing new technology platforms and transferring it to the industrial sector.
Our operation is based on five strategic programs:
- Microsystems (Design & process Integration & packaging)
- Systems (Scientific instrumentation, Medical device technology, Automation)
- Photovoltaics & Energy Management (Crystalline Silicon & metallization , Modules & System integration, Thin film
- coating & devices, Printable photovoltaics, Energy Management)
- Ultra-Low-Power Integrated Systems (System-on-chips, Wireless, Vision)
- Surface Engineering (Nanotechnology, biotechnology, printable electronics)
In each of the above, we have gained a reputable standing on the national and international levels by offering our customers and industry partners custom-made, innovative solutions supported by our extensive market knowledge and technology expertise.
CSEM plays a key role in the innovation value chain, by relying on public–private partnerships and narrowing the gap between fundamental research and industrialization. The support we get from the Swiss Confederation provides CSEM with greater flexibility in addressing a broad spectrum of technology research areas, which strengthens our commitment to innovation and sustainability and puts us in a better position to address future social and environmental challenges. By expanding CSEM’s knowledge and adapting it to industrial needs, new products are brought to market and new ventures are created. CSEM works with a wide range of stakeholders, from startups to SMEs and large organizations. Our services include contract R&D, strategy and innovation consultancy, development of specific business solutions for several Industrial Sectors (Space & Scientific Instrumentation, Watchmaking, Health & Lifestyle, Communication & Semiconductor, Energy & Environment, Automation & Control, Aeronautics, Transport & Security).
- Founded in 1984;
- Headquartered in Neuchâtel, Switzerland
- CHF 83 million in revenues
- More than 450 employees in Switzerland
- More than 45 PhD students and trainees
- About 200 industrial clients worldwide
- Research centers across Switzerland: Alpnach, Muttenz, Landquart and Zurich.
- Sister company in Brazil (CSEM Brasil)
Assets connected to the Be-Smart Project
CSEM is also the WP leader of work package 2. Technically, CSEM is leading the development of the EPoG elements and facilitating the production upscaling of the EPoG elements. More specifically, CSEM is responsible for developing the colored encapsulant as the coloring technique for EPoG elements.